Night-Light

When I was a little girl I needed, and wanted a night-light.  The dark was scary to me.  I can remember on nights when I was sick I would call for my Mama in a sing-song voice, "Mama, come here".  I guess I was too scared to get up and go to her!  I just knew I needed my mama to come to me and help me.  

When my children were little, after they got in bed and we said nighttime prayers, they often reminded me to turn on the hall light.  If I forgot I would hear a tiny sing-song voice, saying "hall light".  And now, in my 60-plus years we too leave on a night light.  We're not afraid but it helps us light our way in the dark of the night.

I've realized in these last few weeks, I need a night-light.  The events around me are surreal and I simply cannot control them so I look to a source of comfort...a Light.  And in these times, I have decided to consciously remember what this Light provides for me.  For this Light says, I am here.  And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Matthew 28:20

This Light says, do not be afraid. For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.  Isaiah 41:13

This Light says, I am the Light of the world.  I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. John 8:12

And, I love you more than you know.  For great iyoulove, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Psalm 108:4

This Light reminds me that regardless of the world around me, He is in charge and He will protect and lead me (and you).  "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
He leads me beside quiet waters Psalm 23:2

My desire is NOT to focus on the dark and what I fear but to focus on the Light and His characteristics.  Who is God?  How do you describe Him? What characteristics does your God display?  

God is with us, protecting, hurting with us, loving, guiding, comforting, leading.  The Light is on.  Call out in the night of your soul.

Popular Posts