More of Him

Lent began last week.  For much of my life I didn't even know Lent existed because my church didn't recognize the occasion.  But these days I now know the meaning of Lent but I wonder if I simply go through the motions of this pre-Easter practice.

It was dusk when we arrived.  The old church in downtown was lit and people were gathering.  The old wooden floor was beautifully shined and the stained glass windows were stunning.  All was quiet except whispers of hello, good evening.  The organ and choir began.  We responded in kind.  The benches ached as we sat, knelt, sat, stood, knelt.  The soprano sang flawlessly. The organ hummed quietly.  Ashes were applied.  Were we all going through the motions for a tradition we didn't understand?  Certainly, we had the head knowledge of the lenten practice but...

What does Lent mean to me today?  What am I to do during the pre-Easter season?  I can fast dessert, I can discipline myself to do or give up most anything.  But why?  Will God be impressed if I show self-restraint?  Will the God of the universe really care or love me more if I give up chocolate for 40 days? 

The speaker spoke.  She explained the 40 days.  She talked of prayer, and love, and focus.  I received life instruction for the 40 days of Lent:
1.  Pray more
2.  Serve and love more
3.  Focus on 'ME' less

Lent, an inward exercise.  Three steps that inwardly I can attempt to follow.  And the result will be:
1.  More of Him
2.  More of Him to others
3.  More of Him in me

Experience Lent anew.  




Popular Posts