The Static of December

Cross-posted from Adventagain.blogspot.com
True confession...my list of to-dos has become the boss of my days.  Nary a present is under my Christmas tree!  In fact, we just put up our Christmas tree this week and currently it stands barren!  My house is a wreck and people are coming.  I have so much on my mind I can hardly keep my mind on track.  My brain is like an old radio station that can't quite tune in...full of static and faint sounds of music.  I'm joyful in this season but there is just too much brain buzz going on.  To sit in silence and try to have a reflective thought is ridiculously hard.  I cannot hear anything but the static we call the holidays.  Can I please put on headphones to block it all out?  I really do want to focus on the real meaning of Christmas.  I want to hear the Good News of a Savior's birth.  I want to realize the significance of His birth in my life today.  I want to hear the Savior's voice.  I so want to tune my ears to the true sounds of Christmas.  Is this a new problem?  Or have generations encountered the static?  Did Mary and Joseph have trouble focusing on the birth of their son, the Son of God?

What was that night like in Bethlehem?  Were Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, the townspeople hustling and bustling about?  Were they worried about paying taxes, family commitments, and to-do items?  What was Bethlehem like 2000 years ago?

I imagine that Bethlehem was dark in a way we've long forgotten.  Dark with no electricity, no lamps, no street lights.  And sound, there were no city sounds only natural sounds.  The low moo of a cow, the rustling and snorting of horses nearby, perhaps voices in the night.  It was quiet and dark as only a small rural town experiences.  Quiet.

Can we find the quiet of Christmas in these days leading up to the birth of Christ?  Is this birth important enough to us that we'll make an effort to tune out the static and find the quiet?  As I sit in my house right now it is quiet.  I hear the distant bark of a dog, the ding of my phone and the mummer of appliances.  But nothing else.  All is quiet as I strain to hear and wait.  I'm conscious of my breathing and the beating of my heart...And so much more.  In this quiet, I'm aware of His presence. I'm aware of His role in my consistently beating heart.  In this quiet, I...am...quiet and I ...am...aware of the birth of a Savior for me and you.

I encourage you to try this with me...give yourself 10 minutes today just to be still.  Maybe you need headphones.  Maybe you need a legal pad beside to write down all the thoughts that swirl through your mind; write down those to-dos but stay in the quiet place.  Your mind will eventually stop whirling.  And in the wait...His voice, His love will arrive.  I promise.

This time may be the best gift you could give yourself.  Do you hear what I hear?

Read the words below from two dear friends of mine.  They will tell you their own stories of waiting and hearing.
My name is Qian.  As a new believer, my Christian life is younger than two years, officially. However, I believe that God has been taking care of me for many years. Even before I clearly saw him, God had kept showing me his love through the breathtaking stars, the magnificent mountains and ocean, the warm smile and helping hands of families, friends, and strangers, and the beauty of science. I had felt the love for many years, and eventually, I found the source of the love.
When I was in Shanghai, Christmas meant Santa Claus and shopping, and I rarely related Christmas with Jesus Christ. A fundamental change happened in the winter of 2017. A friend took me to see a "Christmas Comes Alive" show. In that chilly and silver starry night, I saw the coming of Jesus Christ into this world. The scene of the born of Jesus in the barn was stunning, and it felt peaceful and hopeful --- it felt like a starting point of Human being’s hope and redemption.
------- 
 My name is Mia Zhang, I came from Wuhan, China. When I was in high school, for some reason I started searching for the god that I wanted to believe in. I read a lot about Buddhism, Christian and other religions. I bought my first Bible in a book store in China when I was 16. I believed that there is a god, higher power that is above all human power, a god who has answers to all the ultimate questions I’ve been ask myself like “who am I?” “Why I’m here?” “Where will I be after death?” .... But by then I was not sure who that god is. Then I came to the States five years ago and met a group of wonderful Christian people, from what they say and what they do, I learned more and more about Jesus. From there my spiritual journey begun, I kept going to church and Bible studies and finally was convinced that Jesus is my Savior. I became a Christ follower and got baptized two years ago, on my 30th birthday, with my baby daughter in my womb.
Jesus was born for a reason. He is The God, but unlike every other god (claimed in other religions), he was born not to be served, but to serve instead. How humble this God was to come to this world as a human baby, as fragile as every one of us was. How deeply must God love us to sacrifice his only son to be the ransom, as a mother I can only imagine... 
Before I came to the US and learned more about the truth of Christmas, I thought Christmas was nothing other than lights, Santa, gifts, eating and shopping, all about fulfill our desires and enjoy the happiness. Now I know it’s way much more than that, it’s not even only about us and our families, but about this whole world. History was cut in half ever since. BC became AD. Therefore, to some extent, the whole world today using this Gregorian calendar is in acknowledge of the truth of Jesus the Messiah had come, despite nations, races, religious beliefs. So, this Christmas I pray that we don’t get ourselves stuck in Christmas decorating and plans, but have our eyes on the enormous picture, to celebrate the birth of the Messiah in the name of all human beings and live in His Joy and Glory.
 

Popular Posts