Help, Who Needs a Savior?

Cross-posted from adventagain.blogspot.com
Our precious grandson, Owen visited recently and I have so many memories stored in my heart.  I remember the days we made crafts, made pie crusts and Christmas cookies.  I remember his little feet pattering throughout my house.  I remember his little questions.  I especially remember words he spoke...love you, PapaRay, Kaki...and one more, help.  As he would try to unlock or unwrap or open something, after the struggle he would say...help, help.  And we would jump in to help.  How could we resist such preciousness!

This simple word reminded me of my childlike needs and my cries for help. "Mama, help me iron, Mama, can you sew on this button?, Mama, help me cook, Mama, help me get to school, Mama, help me understand my new baby, Mama, just help me."

Children have no reluctance in asking for help.  In their lives, they have come to understand that they need a helper, a hero...someone to come along beside them to lend a hand, lend a direction, offer a way.  They need a savior.

Do we grow out of this need?  Do you still need a helper or a Savior?  Have you ever wondered why people in the Bible were so intent on looking for a Savior?  In story after story, we find people wondering about a Savior and actively looking for a Savior.  Am I still seeking a Savior?  Do I still cry, help!  Or have I figured it all out?
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.  Luke 2:8-11
What is a Savior?  What does a Savior provide?  Webster offers this definition: one that saves from danger or destruction; one who brings salvation. The synonyms are: deliverer, redeemer, rescuer.  If people were looking for a Savior 2000 years ago then surely, we must be looking as well.  I mean, the state of our world is dying for a deliverer, isn't it?  Is that too global a thought?

Ok, then let's put ourselves in this shepherd's role above.  Here was a guy simply doing his job, waiting for his shift to end.  He was probably worried about all matter of things: providing for his family, finances at tax season, maybe he had some health issue...I mean, he was a real guy.  Just like me and you.  Real people who need some help!  We need help because life is real and hard.

Let's make Christmas real for us today.  Let's apply Christmas to our real lives. What are the cares and concerns in your mind and heart?  What do you think about as you're trying to find sleep?  As you lie in bed and your thoughts bombard you?  What can the Savior help you with today?  Your future, your worry, your family problems, your own lost-ness, your need to fit in, to perform well, to please your family...to succeed.

Our own need for help, is the same today as 2000 years ago.  But I'm afraid we've stopped looking for a Savior.  I'm afraid I hide my need to say, help.  It's so difficult to be that honest with myself and certainly with another human.

That's the beauty of children like Owen who so honestly and willingly ask for help.  The elderly ask for help too.  Five years ago, this Christmas Eve, my mama died.  I remember her last years of life.  They were filled with, "help me".  Help me dress, help me stand up, help this pain stop, help me understand my new world.

My mama's end of life taught me to look up.  Look up like the shepherd did.  Look up when things are hard and don't make sense and when you're in pain.  Look for the angel to appear.  Look to the heavens, the Savior has been born.  He was born 2000 years ago and he's born today.

Help...Savior Jesus!

Popular Posts