Jesus, Lazarus and Richard

Mary and Martha knew their brother was dying.  They were in shock, dismay, fear and probably felt helpless.  They sent word to their friend, Jesus.  But their brother died.  And then, Jesus arrived in his time.  He wept for his friend, Lazarus.  He loved the sisters, Mary and Martha.  And he taught us about death and life through Lazarus.  For Jesus restored life to Lazarus and he unbound him.

My last weeks have involved loss, tears, and anguish as my sister lost her best friend, her husband of 41 years, the love of her life.  Richard L. Lovelace was sick for only two weeks and then he was gone.  The process of losing a loved one is extreme in every sense of the word and is also forever.

I've thought a lot about life and death in the last few weeks as death came so close.  Here are a few things I've learned from Richard and Lazarus...and Jesus.

1.  Life happens and death happens...
2.  ...And they occur without our permission or control
3.  In this process, we are allowed to scream out our pain and disappointment and questions.
"When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”  When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. “Where have you laid him?” he asked. “Come and see, Lord,” they replied.  Jesus wept." John 11
4.  God's timing is not our timing
5.  Just as Lazarus was bound (according to burial customs of the day), I've realized I'm bound too.
And just as Jesus gave Lazarus new life, he also called for him to be unbound.
"Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?” So they removed the stone. Then Jesus raised His eyes, and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. I knew that You always hear Me; but because of the people standing around I said it, so that they may believe that You sent Me.” When He had said these things, He cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth.” The man who had died came forth, bound hand and foot with wrappings, and his face was wrapped around with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.”John 11

How are we bound up?  What are those places in our lives that we have wrapped tight, those places that don't allow us life and movement, those places where are eyes can longer see?  What are the places in our lives that need the shout of Jesus, "Unbind him"?

A situation in your family may have you bound up in guilt or shame.  What binds you?  Is it a family member, a disappointment, a failure, the loss of a friendship, a child, your "plan" that hasn't' worked out, or...is it a death of someone close to you?  We are all bound by many, many heartaches, stresses, worries, by life itself.

The story of Richard and Lazarus says to me that Jesus is right beside me.  Healing in his time, loving with me, weeping with me but above all unbinding me from the hurts of this world.  All I have to do is let him speak words over me and believe Him when he says, "Unbind her and let her go". Go to new life.

Unbind me.


Popular Posts