Happy Father's Day Indeed

Father's Day is today...oops, I forgot my husband, who is a father!  And, I almost forgot my son who is also a father!  I just have a hard time thinking about anything on Father's Day except my father!  Jack L. Loftin was his name and he left earth on June 27, 2008.  Wow, almost exactly 10 years ago.  How can that be possible?  (Hey Daddy, Happy Father's Day today!  I hope every day is Father's Day for you now...how could heaven not be?)

This has been a normal Sunday for me and Ray...early church, boating on the lake, a lite lunch, reading...but my distracted 60-year-old brain has been on my Father.  And I'm sorry but not on Jack L. Lofting but on my heavenly Father.  God.

Ray shared a small reading today that stated that all little girls seek love and attention from their fathers and that many women in our world today are still seeking that fatherly approval.  For the reality is not all of us had great dads.  We had stressed dads, workaholic dads, busy dads, unhappy dads, dads seeking their own father's love.  For some we never even knew our dads...but yet we yearn for that 'father' love, that father approval, that father acceptance.  Is it possible to be yearning for that type of father and at the same time not recognize that HE is indeed present.  He's here?

I know that for me that when life gets rough, I feel a bit lost.  Yes, I know I have a father.
I know that when I'm discouraged and confused, I get depressed and hopeless.  Yes, I know I have a father.
I know that when I get hurt by words and actions of other people, I turn inward as though there is an answer inside my little head.  Yes, I know I have a father.
I know that when life just sucks (sorry friends), I get bitter and angry and cry and cry.  Yes, I know I have a father.
I know that when my spirit feels broken in half, I go into my shell.  Yes, I know I have a father.
I know that when I wander off and try to find my own way, I fail and my self runs out.  Yes, I know I have a father.

Who is this Father?
He seeks me out when I'm lost.
He goes to the ends of the earth to find me, the one, even though he has 99 others.
He runs out to meet me when he sees me in the distance.
He encourages me to come into His party and assume my place as His daughter.
He heals my broken-heartedness, He binds me.
He know the plans He has for me, offering me a future and hope.
He hears the hurtful words and the rejection and takes it on Himself.
He offers me what I long for: acceptance, love, the pride of a father.

He's watching for us to come into sight.  Happy Father's Day indeed.

Popular Posts