And then...Monday

Easter Sunday came and went.  Today is Monday and real life begins again.  The bunnies...all gone.  The chocolate...all gone (except what I need for daily sustenance!).  The food is all eaten, the company, thankfully, have gone and here I am...Monday.  He came, He rose, we celebrated...and it's Monday.  Life moves on and most days are routine, some hard and some unexpected.  Situations, family hurts, stress, life and death, disappointment, fear...it's Monday.  Oh yes, Easter Sunday just happened and am I living my Monday differently?  I believe He lived and rose from the dead but Monday still came. And I'm trying to figure out how to sing and live the Hallelujah chorus today...with no choir, no worship leader, just me and my little, bitty life.  How does Easter change me?  How should it change me?
Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. John 19:28-29
Did you read those words?  Read them again.
In one last statement, Jesus spoke, "I am thirsty."  And then quite quickly, "It is finished."  Then He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.

That is my Monday to-do list.  I'm going to follow Jesus' lead.
I am thirsty, Jesus said.  What do I admit after the exhilaration and exhaustion of living life?  Admit that I am still thirsty.  I'm thirsty for joy.  I am thirsty for peace.  I'm thirsty for healing and for God to 'make it right'. I'm thirsty for my future.  I'm thirsty for continued blessing.  I'm thirsty for Him to answer my prayers.  How would you complete this sentence?  I am thirsty for ________________.

On that cross, Jesus came to the end of His earthly self...maybe that last statement of 'I am thirsty' represents all we know as human need.  Maybe he was giving us the pattern for life.  Maybe the cross represents us coming to the end of ourselves, our struggle, our effort, our ability.  And once we find ourselves in that place of great thirst and great need, we can then and ONLY then realize the truth in His next words, "It is finished".  When I come to end of myself...I find this Christ.

I'm thirsty for joy.  I'm here, it is finished.  I am thirsty for peace.  I'm here, it is finished.  I'm thirsty for healing and for God to make things right.  I'm here, it is finished.  I'm thirsty for my future.  I'm here, it is finished.  I'm thirsty for continued blessing.  I'm here, it is finished.  I'm thirsty for Him to answer my prayers.  I'm here, it is finished

My Monday must reflect the truth found in, "It is finished".  For why else do we celebrate Easter?  It is finished that He came to earth to find us, love us and restore us.  It is finished that He has returned to the Father but let a part of Himself stay within us.  It is finished that today, this very Monday, we have the same power within us that raised Jesus from the dead.  It is finished that today He lives inside you.  So, whatever Monday brings, it is finished.

Years ago, I took my then 5-year-old daughter to a park in Corpus Christi, Texas.  In south Texas, there are no tall trees; therefore, you can see from horizon to horizon.  On this day, we were lying on a blanket and looking up at the clouds make believing the shapes of all sorts of animals and such.  As we kept, looking suddenly Sarah said, “look mama, a hand.”  And indeed, there was a cloud that looked exactly like an upturned palm – a hand extended.  This sweet girl said, “I think it’s God’s hand, look how big it is!”

We stayed a little while longer but were gathering up to leave when we also noticed a rainbow in the far horizon.  Of course, we were thrilled as we counted and named all the colors we could see.  It was quite a day for a mother’s heart.

That night at bedtime, I was tucking Sarah in and we begin to say our prayers.  I first prayed and thanked God for our day, and the clouds and the rainbow.  Then Sarah prayed….and changed my world.  “Dear God, thank you for today with my mama.  Thank you for showing us your hand in the clouds and mostly, God, thank you for giving us eyes to see rainbows”.



I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realmsEphesians 1:18-20

Popular Posts