The IF Test

There are all sorts of ifs in our lives.  We live a lot of life under the if mindset.  Whether overtly stated or
 
not, we hear the undertones of the if statement.  If you love me, you’ll help me.  If you love me, you’ll clean up the kitchen tonight.  If you love me, you’ll buy me that new dress.  If you loved me, you’d never have let me get into this mess.
The devil uses a similar strategy. 

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If  you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written: “‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”
Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’” Matthew 4:5-7

This is the “show me your God” moment or maybe the playground bully, yelling “prove it.”  We may all have witnessed such behavior.  And certainly, this mindset is one in which we are familiar as it has been around for all of time.  But unfortunately, I realize, as I look deeply into myself, it’s also within me.

When life does not go as I expect or as I hope, in some deep, private place inside myself, I find myself making testy statements to God such as, “if you can or if you will, then I will understand,  then I will follow you.  When did I become one who gives God’s challenges, one who puts Him to the test?  How can a mere human be so confrontative to the Holy God.  Are these if thoughts a reflection of my own lack of faith?  Are there areas in my life where I am tempted to believe that it’s too late for God to act?  Is that a core belief that needs His healing?  Do you have some core beliefs that have lulled you into thinking that it is too late for God’s healing touch? 
Even Mary and Martha fell into this trap, 
“Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died.  But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.” 
When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” John 11:21-22,32

And there is a story of man who brings his son to Jesus for healing, and he says, “But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”  “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” Mark 9:22-23

I love that God is approachable and welcomes our doubts, our questions.  He does not seem perplexed at our ifs.  What I see is that He always responds no matter what I say to Him.  He is always offering love, acceptance.  And He always takes our ifs and turns them into His great “I AMs.  I am the One who loves you.  I am to One who makes all things possible.  I am the One who heals.

Jesus replied, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God. Here I am. John 8:42

He is here. He’s never too late.  No ifs, ands or buts.

Popular Posts