Now What?

In my memories, I see happy Christmas mornings, I see wrapping paper everywhere!  I hear squealing and laughter.  Additionally, I see our children wearing Easter clothes and running to and fro hunting Easter eggs, eating candy, joyful!

I also see children carrying the flowering cross as they walk down the center aisle of our Texas church on Easter morning, I hear the Alleluia being proclaimed, I see smiles and joy!  

And then a few days later,  I hear my child ask, "Mama, now what?  Christmas and Easter are over and now all we have is regular life for a while".  Indeed, now what?

Peter, James, John, Mary, and many others asked the same question.  They had a thrilling few years but it didn't end as expected.  So, they hid, wept, asked for proof of life, denied, betrayed, and were devastated, and wondering, now what?

As do I, too often.  And maybe, as do you.  Maybe our minds ask: But why?  For what purpose?  How could you?  I don't understand.  Things have changed and I'm scared.  What's next?  Now what?  And just when things seem the darkest a small light begins to creep in.  At first, we may barely notice it but as times goes by the light gets bigger, brighter until finally we're blinded by the light.  

Those Jesus followers were also found by a tiny light as they hid. This little light.  It started small, from one woman then to one man.  This little light of mine.  Then it was shared, and it kept growing.  Soon, the light spread from Golgotha to the road to Emmaus, to a hiding place.  This little light of mine I'm going to let it shine.

Now it has reached us.  Yes, life is hard, and it hurts, and it may make us want to hide.  Yes, it is unexpected and twisty, and downright painful.  Yes, we're disappointed in what has and has not happened.  But I noticed from the Bible that each time Jesus appeared after his death, it was initially one person at a time.  This little light of mine.  Each time, the light was for the one.

The light has arrived for each of us.  Individually and just in the way that we can see it.  Each ray of Light is personalized for you and me and the world.

That's our "now what."  Relish in the warmth of that Light today.  He is alive, He sees you, He knows you, He is our hope.  “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. 

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”  John 16:33

this little light of mine...

Popular Posts