Led into the Desert?

Honestly, some verses from the Bible bother me.  I don't understand their meaning.  However, I totally accept that I will not understand many things until heaven arrives!  But I do like to ponder and reflect.  Ponder with me today? Consider these verses from three books of the Bible.

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. Matthew 4:1

At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him. Mark 1:12-13

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil
. Luke 4:1-2

Jesus was led into the desert by the Holy Spirit, by God Himself?  Why?  Why would God lead him, or me, or you into deserts?  I do not like the desert.  The desert makes me fearful; it strips me bare; it hurts, it wounds me.  I cannot imagine a loving God leading me into a desert of isolation.

But then as I reread, I see, "was led", meaning someone led.  When one is led, someone goes before.  This verse indicates to me that the Spirit went first, and Jesus followed.  A follow-the-leader type of desert.  Now that is a very different desert experience.  Still not at all easy but an understanding that Jesus was not alone.

The verses indicate that the desert for Jesus was about fasting and praying before temptation arrived.  We might say focusing, without distractions.  It was a time of going away.  I've 'gone away' on retreat before.  And I fought every day leading up to my departure.  I did not want to change my routine, I did not want to be with other people I did not know, I did not want to give up my watch and my phone.  How would I survive without my everyday items?  I felt stripped and bare.

Yet, He came to attend me.  He came and I could see Him.  I could hear His voice more clearly than ever before.  I received something new, something unique.  Had I not found my own desert I would not have found this newness.

Why would I be bothered that the Spirit LED Jesus into the desert?  Shouldn't I be more bothered if the Spirit had NOT led him into such a time of discomfort, want and seeking? He could have sent him to be alone.  But no, as is always true with God, He leads.  He is with us in the desert.

Trust that God has a perfect plan.  Trust that where he leads, He will also be attending us, showing us newness.  Right now, the trees are still barren, i.e. desert looking.  But look closely, the new green is right behind the barren branches of the desert.  He indeed makes all things new.

Popular Posts