Two Questions

The beach: where two worlds meet, and the waves never stop. Waves vary in size and strength day to day but never cease to roll.  They crash loudly and retreat silently.  Many are drawn to this world, wanting to bask, wanting to explore and understand.  People experience the waves differently.  Some dive in, surf, float, parasail, some sit at the edge and watch.  But all are intrigued.  All are amazed.  Those who love mountain ranges experience the same wonder, majesty, and beauty.  What are these places speaking?  What is the message of such beauty?

I recently read the book, Prayer in the Night, by Tish Harrison Warren.  In this book she tells a story that has changed me.  Below is an excerpt:

"When my eldest daughter was very little, she would get stuck on certain questions.  She'd ask the same thing for weeks, sometimes months, over and over again.  He dad and I would try to answer her as patiently as we could, for the eleventy billionth time. There are two questions she asked over and over.
First, around age two or three, for months she'd ask, "What's your first name?"  Her dad would answer, "Jonathan." "What's your middle name?" "Edward."  Then she'd continue, "What's your last name?"  She'd ask all of us-me, Jonathan, strangers, anyone who was willing to tell her their full name.  And she'd ask as many times as possible.  Eventually, thank God, she stopped with that question. 
Years later, a different question bubbled up: "Mama, do you love me?" "Daddy, do you love me?"  She was a little older now and knew that she was asking the question a lot.  She admitted so-she'd say, "I'm sorry I'm asking again."  But she needed to hear the answer again and again.  She didn't ask because we hadn't told her that we love her, but b because it's so easy to doubt it, to question whether it's true, to forget, to wonder whether the answer can be trusted.  We all need to hear it over and over again."

Tish Warren surmised that these two questions from a child are our adult, life-long questions as well.  How often do I go through my life wondering what is God's name?  And does He love me?  

On those days when things occur outside of my control, I wonder, God, what is your name?  Do you love me?  

My life is hurting, confused in disarray, God, what is your name? Do you love me?  

As I cry out for purpose or direction I ask, God, what is your name, and do you love me?  

Think about it.  Every station of life, every situation we experience, honestly comes down to those two questions.  We keep asking Him and seeking these answers.  Answers that go to the core of each one of us.  For when we realize the answers, we realize the fullness of our God.  His names are vast, complete, and too comprehensive for us to grasp.  So, he shows us His name.  He shows us by giving us the gift of the beach, the mountains. the desert stream, the forest waterfall, the eyes of a child, the squeeze of a hand, the hug of a mom.

He is shouting of His love for us.  Just like Tish's little girl, it's so precious that we keep asking, acknowledging our curiosity and our need.  And He is answering over and over again.  What a joy, that our Father keeps answering.



Popular Posts