WORSHIP


What is worship?  Some describe worship as an activity that occurs on Sunday.  Some of us have found ourselves in worship of our children, our spouses or even our football teams!  We seek to worship.

In the desert, Jesus said, "Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only." Matthew 4:10b

C. S. Lewis also pondered questions of worship.  Lewis asked, Why does God want to be praised?  In his writings, C. S. Lewis revealed the answer he found...in the process of being worshipped God communicates His presence to men...and by their so doing [worship] God gave Himself to men*

This is the answer I seek.  I need the balance worship offers me.  I like to be my own ruler but I often fall off that throne and it's painful. There is only one Throne and I do not sit on it.  The divine balance of worship offers presence, freedom and settles my unrest, my need to worship. 

I'm learning that when we worship, we give God His "worthship".  This is the original meaning of the word worship - to attribute worth to another.  When I give God His proper WORTH, I find my proper place.

I wonder when do I worship?  I wonder if I worship earthly relationships or worldly success?  I wonder who is the One I worthship?  Who is the One you worthship?  And mostly, Who is the One worthy of worship?


*C. S. Lewis, Reflections on the Psalms (New York: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, 1958), pp. 90-91.

Photo: Rainbow Mountain, Peru


Popular Posts