The Candidate Speaks


A few weeks ago I wrote about the Candidate.  The Candidate that is white-hot Holy. Pure. That Candidate met me recently.

At the end of October, Ray and escaped for a beach vacation.  It consisted of beach gazing, reading, eating shrimp, oysters and fresh fish, beach chairs, watching dolphins, counting fishing boats, watching full sunrises and sunsets over a majestic ocean.  We had beautiful weather, we had rain and we had stormy seas as a hurricane was attacking the gulf coast.

The beach has been my spiritual highpoint since I was in the 7th grade and took a church trip to Gulfport, Mississippi.  There I experienced a new faith, bon-fires on the beach, singing "Pass it On" and a first kiss! That 7th grade little girl realized the beach was the spot where her spirit collided with two worlds.  And I've never been same.

The Candidate used the beach to teach me.

1.  As you stand at the coastline, the waves continuously come in and fall back.  Your feet sink and you get held in a way.  The waves continue and continue from dawn to the dark of night.  This reminds me of the Candidate's unconditional, continuous love.  Love that keeps on coming even as I get stuck in life.  Love that keeps up a rhythm that never fails or ceases to arrive.  Without any effort or permission or acceptance or denial from me...the waves of His love and grace surround me.

2.  The calmness of such a vast ocean is remarkable.  The clarity of the water brings thousands to this coast.  The sandbars that are created just off shore are amazing.  These calm pools of water refresh and allow little-ones to toddle about even in the midst of the gentle waves.  A calm in the midst of a storm.  There is a sweetness and gentleness that eases and speaks deeply to my spirit.  But also,

3.  The hurricane-ravaged ocean is intimidating and fierce.  Those once calm and gentle waves transform to ones of deafening power, unstoppable force, ones that command our attention.  They grow, they overtake, they swell and surround, their power is a source of energy that is majestic.  The sheer wind and volume are enough to awaken and change us.  

What type power is this?  I cannot understand the ways and actions of the ocean or the ways of the Candidate?  But I can experience it and respect it and be in awe.  He is one of calm, of continuous love, and yes, unharnessed power that is majestic.  And I can see His love, His calm, His fierce fight for humankind are on display in the world around us.  

The ocean reminds me that I am not in charge of anything.  I am a mere speck of sand on a beach of fluffy-white, powdery sand.  Yet, I'm there.  I have a voice.  I have a presence.  I have a life.  And I have the blessing of sinking my toes at the edge of surf and feeling the pull, the presence, the surrounding waves calling my name.  

Popular Posts