Let's Zoom

Zoom has become a lifeline.  Zoom connects me to other faces and laughter and good conversations.  I've been Zooming quite a bit in these recent days.  And I'm thankful for the technology that allows us this opportunity.

I zoomed in a different way this week, too.  I zoomed back to 2010.  I refocused on April, 2010 for it taught me, changed me and refocused my life.  I call that time, 'a second mercy'.  Here is an excerpt from my journal.
April 13, 2010
Today I met my son.  How does one describe this first moment of introduction?  He is beautiful, he is a miracle, even in his sweet tears he is shouting: Mama, I’m alive.  Please love me and hold me.  
His curly black hair, his deep brown eyes, and his already formed personality capture me.  My beautiful boy has been born.  We have been blessed with a son.  He is 20 years old.  This day, April 13, 2010 is a second birthday for our son, Nicholas.  On this day, he returned home, broken, sick, in need of mercy and love.  

And ten days later, he entered a treatment facility for addiction.

Back to April 23, 2020, on this day our family celebrated!  A celebration of 10 years in recovery.  Ten years of hard-fought battles, hard conversations, lots of tears, lots of forgiveness and a whole lot of grace.  We zoomed into the celebration of new life, healed life, of hard times but now, 'oh-so-worth-it times'.  As a family, we are stronger.  We are healthier in our relationships with each other.  We love.  And Nicholas, he's still growing, giving his recovery to others, leading, loving.  We are so very thankful for the journey that led to recovery.  For this story has shaped all our lives.  This time has re-created us all.

Are the difficult days of 2020 re-creating a new me?  Where will the pain of these days lie in my future?
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. Ephesians 1:17-21

Zoom out to 2030.  What will we look back on?  What will be the lessons of 2020?  What events of 2020 will I remember?  Will I focus in retelling the acute problem or will I think back to the lessons I learned?  Will we be stronger?  Will we have grown from the lessons of today?

These days of pandemic will end.  I don't want to look back and realize that I took this time for granted.  I want to be learning, right now!  For in learning from today, my tomorrow, my 2030 may be a wiser time, a healthier time, a more mercy-filled time.

I challenge each of us to begin asking some questions.
What am I learning?
What is God trying to say to me and my world?
What is the big question of this time?
What is the big question in my life?
“What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him. 
The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.” 
“Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road. Mark 10: 50-52

It's good to Zoom.  It's good to Zoom in.  And it's very good to Zoom out.











Popular Posts