Lent, Jesus and Social Distancing


When Lent rolled around this year, I decided to give up sweets. In the past years, I've given up Diet Coke or lunch.  But never in my wildest dreams did I ever consider giving up people = social distancing!  The closest I've ever come to this phenomenon is when I was in the 8th grade.  I was diagnosed with Mono and Strep and I was distanced from my family.  I vividly remember my Mama serving my dinner on separate plates, dinnerware and even washing my dishing separately.  I felt so isolated and shunned.  I was a cast-out in my own home.

I have a similar feeing these days for I am a 'people person'.  I thrive in connection, coffee dates, lunch, teaching, chatting, hugging, whispering in a movie, sharing popcorn and on and on!  People in my world make me a better person.  They challenge me and grow me.  Yet, here we are.

It occurred to me this week that Jesus also experienced social distancing.  He truly has experienced the emotions we are feeling.  He was called to a desert life for 40 days and He encountered some things that perhaps are similar to our lives.  Below are my simplistic thoughts (for deeper study consult Bible commentaries for I am no theologian).  These are my simple, every-day, applying-the-Bible-to-my-world thoughts:

Temptation 1: After 40 days, Jesus was hungry.  As are we, whether it be food, lost income or toilet paper!  We are hungry for basic needs of our lives.
“If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” Matthew 4:3-4
Thought: Lean into the provision God offers us.  And lean into how WE can be that answer for people.  Who can we help feed?  Who can we hire for jobs around our houses/yards?

Temptation 2: Unsuccessful with the first temptation, another followed.  "Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written: “‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”Matthew 4:5-7
Thought: Prove to me, God, that you are who you say you are for in my world I can't see you.  This virus seems stronger that you.  If you are God...If you are God...prove it!
Oh, Lord...I do believe, Help my unbelief.

Temptation 3: Not tiring, more temptation followed.  As the virus drags on, more concerns and thoughts will flood our minds as we search for answers.
Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ Matthew 4:8-10
Thought: Who is in control?  Who is in power that can solve our crisis?  Even if I have all power in the world, in my town, in my house the true answer comes back to the ONE.  The King of all the World is in control, whether I understand or not!

It comforts me to realize that Jesus lived through difficult days of separation.  It also challenges me to keep praying and studying the One who is the great Healer, Provider and Lover of our souls.  This Lent has truly been one of wilderness.  Let's press in and find new meaning for our lives in these days.

Popular Posts