Who Do You Say That I Am?

Years ago, Ray and I relocated to Corpus Christi, Texas as he accepted a new job.  We were meeting many new people and a common question was, "What do you do?"  Ray could easily answer this question.  I, however stumbled on the question as I wasn't working yet and it seemed the only appropriate answer was to give a job title.  I longed to have a defined role, an answer to this simple question.  It was awkward and unsettling to not have a quick answer.

This question, "What do you do?", is a common and oft repeated life question.  When I worked, I identified myself with my job title.  As a mom with young kids, I was "Mom".  Once I retired from my professional career, my answer would change with Ray's job.  It's interesting to me that in some worlds, I am Nick and Sarah's mom, in other situations I was an employee of a pediatric hospital.  And in a few others, I am a teacher, a volunteer, a wife.  Depending on who you ask, I am defined differently.  I can ask people, "Who do you say that I am?"  And their answers would depend on the role I play in their life.

I ran across this story recently; therefore, I've been pondering Jesus' question to his friends. 
Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say I am?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life.”
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Peter answered, “God’s Messiah.” Mark 8:27-29
These friends had been getting to know Jesus for a while.  They had seen many miracles, heard His teaching, knew the stories of old predicting His coming yet, they were not quite sure of the answer to His question.  Honestly, I see that in our world today too.  In our churches, in small groups of Christians, in prayer circles, in offices, in schools, in gatherings all around the world we are still trying to answer His question, "Who do you say I am?".  But notice, Peter's answer was one that came as he saw the true role Jesus played in his life.

What I know is that I can only answer in faith...believing in the One I cannot see. (confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see Hebrews. 11:1)  My answer defines me.  For when I answer, "You are the savior of the world', I define myself as His creation or His child.  And that means:
1.  Before I know who I am, I have to know or recognize who He is!Before I can understand my life, my role, my existence I must know the answer to the question He asks, "Who do you say I am?".  How do you answer?  Do I believe He is Messiah, Savior?  Am I willing to live my life in that truth?  And if I do believe that He is indeed Savior, won't my life reflect that truth?  Can I let go of my hangups and worries to trust in this Messiah?
2.  Recognizing His roles and presence in my life may be different from His role and presence in your life.  I must not lock God into the only the role I see or have experienced.  After all, if He is GOD isn't He capable of many, many roles in our unique lives?  Isn't God able to be God?  Must He fit into my tiny box?  Can I let my control go and trust Him? 
3.  If I am to have hope in this world, I too must give Peter's answer.  "Who do you say I am"? Peter answered, "God's Messiah."  Our world desperately needs to find an unconditional loving and forgiving God.  The whole earth longs for saving, compassion, hope and a future.  My hope is that He be recognized.

We live our lives playing many roles: boss, mom, dad, student, volunteer, coworker.  And we're known by others in those roles.  But the defined role we most long for is the one that whispers to us in the quiet of night, "Who am I?  Am I living my full life? What is my purpose?".

And it's only in recognizing God as God, Father, Savior that I find my right place and purpose.  Until then I'm still trying to be a god too.  I'm still trying to measure up, do enough, be enough...there is so much freedom in realizing yes, indeed, you God, are the Messiah.

Popular Posts