You are Very Good

June 2019, six months into the year and here we are living the hot, humid life of the deep south.  The crickets and cicadas speak loud and clear every evening.  BBQ grills, baseball and beach trips make summer days alive.  Schedules seem less important and activities seem more important.  I remember as a young girl, I would leave my house on summer days and return just in time for dinner.  We rode bikes, played outdoor games, got hot and sweaty, went bare-footed and had nary a care in the world.  We relished our purpose on those summer days.  Our purpose was to enjoy each other and summertime.

Can or should that be our purpose today...to enjoy our summer days?  I realize we all have responsibilities, work, people relying on us.  Some would add, we have God's purpose for our lives too.  We have the responsibility to use our hands and feet.  You know what?  I agree with all the above.  We DO have the responsibility to care for our planet, to care for our neighbor, to care for those less fortunate and to care for those who do not yet know the Savior of the world.  I am passionate about our purposes in the world.

But this summer, let's not miss one other critically important point.  God loves us regardless of what we do for His Kingdom.  He created this earth.  He created each of us to live here and enjoy his creation.  Maybe our lives become so driven by seeking and finding our purpose and security in what we do that we miss that fact we're loved beyond what we achieve.  God's loves you and me today as much as He ever will or as much as He ever has.  It is a complete love.  Relish your life today.

He loves you just as you are today.

Dr. Brene’ Brown is a researcher, author, faculty member at the University of Houston and her work has inspired me.  Through her book, The Gifts of Imperfection, she writes about living lives that are worthy of love and belonging.
“When we can let go of what other people think and own our story, we gain access to our worthiness—When we spend a lifetime trying to distance ourselves from the parts of our lives that don’t fit with who we think we’re supposed to be, we stand outside of our story and hustle for our worthiness by constantly performing, perfecting, pleasing and proving.

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute.  Worthiness doesn’t have prerequisites for God has already made that worthiness possible, through his Son.

Do you say these words to yourself?

•I’ll be worthy when I lose twenty pounds
•I’ll be worthy when I get or stay sober
•I’ll be worthy is everyone thinks I’m a good parent
•I’ll be worthy if I can hold my marriage together
•I’ll be worthy if my career takes off
•I’ll be worthy if my parents finally approve
•I’ll be worthy when I can do it all and look like I’m not even trying!!!

Here is what is truly at the heart of it all:  We….You…are worthy now.  Not if.  Not when.  We are worthy of love and belonging.  Right this minute. As is.  God says you are very good.

Take a few minutes today to live like a carefree summer kid.  Relish in being loved.  Let yourself free to enjoy what the day holds for you.  Ride a bike, walk barefoot, go off grid for an hour, relax into who He created...you.

God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.  Genesis 1:31

Popular Posts