Is the Poinsettia Dead?


The last remnants of Christmas in my house are the dying poinsettia plants.  You must admit they look bedraggled at best.  It's time to toss them, so I guess Christmas is officially over.  I know what you're thinking....uh...yes, Christmas has BEEN over as it's the middle of January!!  But in my defense, you have to admit that there is quite the build-up to Christmas so can't I have a month on the back side to keep celebrating?  So what, that my poinsettias are dying!

There are stories of post-Christmas celebrations.  Let's look at Simeon from the book of Luke.
In Jerusalem at the time, there was a man, Simeon by name, a good man, a man who lived in the prayerful expectancy of help for Israel. And the Holy Spirit was on him. The Holy Spirit had shown him that he would see the Messiah of God before he died. Led by the Spirit, he entered the Temple. As the parents of the child Jesus brought him in to carry out the rituals of the Law, Simeon took him into his arms and blessed God: God, you can now release your servant; release me in peace as you promised. With my own eyes I’ve seen your salvation; it’s now out in the open for everyone to see: A God-revealing light to the non-Jewish nations, and of glory for your people Israel. 
Jesus’ father and mother were speechless with surprise at these words. Simeon went on to bless them... Luke 2: 25 and various verses. The Message
I wonder about Simeon.  I wonder how long he had waited for the promise to be fulfilled.  I wonder how many days he went to the Temple waiting for the Savior to be revealed.  How many days did the sun set without the promise happening?  I don't picture this waiting time as quiet and relaxed either.  From my understanding, the Temple would have been crowded and busy.  People bustling about in business meetings, in selling items to aid in worship, experiencing their own worship.  It was a happening place that this old man, Simeon, waited.  Maybe even largely ignored, looked over, passed by, called eccentric...who knows.

As my old poinsettias continue to die, I find that I too want to stay in the Temple, i.e. the Christmas-mode.  I want to be like Simeon.  For we too were promised and given a Savior.  Amongst the crowd surrounding me today, people are going about their business and making their way through life and I want to be living life to the fullest, too.  But, I also want to be in the waiting.  And when He appears in my day today, I want to be like Simeon.  I want to be looking for Him.  I want to call Him by name.  I want to acknowledge exactly who He is in my life.  And I want my life actions to reveal Him to those around me.  It's up to me.  I can sit in the temple of my life and not have eyes to see.  Or even in those times when I think I've caught a glimpse of Him, often I don't fully recognize or certainly don't acknowledge His true presence and gift to me.

Simeon had faith, he had patience and he had vision.  We have all those gifts too.  They were our Christmas gifts.  Let's open them up again today.  Perspective, we need perspective to see and acknowledge God in our world today.

Look again at my dying poinsettia.
(It really is the same plant but from another perspective)

Popular Posts