All the Words

Words are a life-source for me.  They are also deafening.  Words uplift.  Words hurt.  Words bring us life and love.  Words drown out our original thoughts.  Words get stuck inside of our heads and hearts.  Spoken words can bring freedom.  Spoken words can bring pain.  The silence of words can create wonder. The silence of words can also bring pain.  We have been given a holy spoken Word.  Words are powerful.

I remember when my daughter was just a little girl, 2 or 3 years old.  She would reach up her arms towards me and say, "Hold you, hold you".  Clearly, her meaning was pick me up and hold me, mama.  But the beauty of her phrasing was so much better for my heart and soul.  Years later, the teenager phase was upon us and I heard different words!  Yes, some words that were painful at times but growing words.  Words that enabled her growth and mine.

My word trap is that I always want to hear pleasant words not the hard kind of words.  But I ponder which type makes me grow?  Which type reacquaints me with who I am and whose I am?

We were given some words to pray 2000 years ago.  I'm pretty sure that these words are actually ones to meditate on and explore not just to recite one day a week.  The power of any word is in our examination and pondering of the meaning.  Additionally, when I have no words, when my joy or my pain is stuck inside of me these old words help me get out of the mire and utter something.  They help me reach out beyond myself in hope that there is more.  Hope that there is a loving Father.  Below are the formal words given to us in the Bible.
‘Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done,On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’ Matthew 6:9-13 

I believe God gave us these words as a model.  He wants and desires that we make them our own. These words are but a start for us so that we can use own words with God.  As we know, according to life circumstances our uttering of these words will constantly change as our needs change.  But the stability of meaning in these words will stand all test of time.

Any words, He gladly hears.  Hard words, love words, worry words, joy words, celebration words, anxious words...
Here are my words based on those from Jesus' teaching:

My Father, you are in heaven.  I come to you today believing this and trusting in the truth of who you say you are.  A Father of unconditional love and unconditional forgiveness.
And Holy is your name.  Your name is above all names.  Your name is the one I seek.
I pray that today your kingdom will come to me and be realized inside of me.  I pray that I will be Your hands and feet today.
And I pray that your will be done in my life today.  Whatever you have for me today, I accept as I know it comes from the source of who you are, Love.  I pray for your will in the life of my family.  Hold them in your perfect will today, Father. I pray for your will today as it is in heaven.
Give me today my daily needs of food, shelter, safety.  Give me the daily needs of love and forgiveness.  Please Father give me just what I need for today so that I will honor you.
And forgive me for the ways I've separated myself from you.  Forgive me for the times I've ignored you, the times I've hurt people around me and the times I haven't seen the hurting people around me.  Forgive me for always choosing myself above others and above you.
Also, I pray you will forgive those who have hurt me, those who have done harm to my spirit.  Forgive them and draw them close to you.
And I pray that I will not be led into temptation, into things or places or thoughts that do not glorify you.  Deliver me from the mental thoughts that lead me away from you but give me thoughts that draw me toward your love and the life you've put inside me.
For Yours IS the kingdom, Yours is the POWER and GLORY forever.
Amen

Our Father who is in heaven..."hold you, hold you."




Popular Posts