Repost: Backward Resolutions

This is a post from 2015 that a friend brought to my attention.  Thought you might enjoy.

IS it too late for New Years resolutions? Many of us make our lists Lose ten pounds.  Exercise every day.  Stay within my personal budget and grow my savings account.  Visit my family more consistently.  I 'will do this', I 'will do that'...But do we ever see them through? I don't or I haven't!  We promise ourselves that this is THE year to see them through.

Well, I am rebelling.  I'm much better in controlling what I will NOT do...because I like to be in control...(don't judge me, you do too).  So this year I refuse to make such a list.

Instead I am making a Backward Resolution list, i.e. these are the goals of what I am NOT going to do.
And....I have listed these in reverse order (thank you David Letterman):

10.  I am not going to feel guilty for sleeping late on Saturday mornings.
9.  I am not going to walk 10,000 steps every day (for that put me in a boot for the last six weeks!)
8.  I am not going to overreact when traffic piles up.
7.  I am not going to ignore my own pain or the pain in my family.
6.  I am not going to be afraid of loving extravagantly.
5.  I am not going to waste my earth days by ignoring the needs all around me.
4.  I am not going to ignore the call of God on my life to take His message to those around me.
3.  I am not going to 'go to church because it's Sunday and I have to or what would people think?'
2.  I am not going to rest in my own strength.
1.  I am not going to put my hope and trust in my self, my husband or my children, my friends or ANY earthly gift.
(1. I originally wrote: I am not going to deny my Lord and Savior but knew that before morning dawns I will have denied him three times or more.  But this remains my hearts desire.)

So in this year, I ask myself,
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Romans 8:35, 37-39

Popular Posts