Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall

It is official, summer is over.  I've seen school buses in full operation and that means we're on to September, school days, football and all things Fall.  My summer ended after a long vacation with our family and honestly, it felt really great to step away from the merry-go-round of obligations, mission statements and to-do lists.  And more honestly, it felt less than great to return to busy, busy life.  But we are back, all of us, back to real life today.  So, what do we do now?  What is there for us?

In answering that question in my own mind, I was prompted to look back at the Summer Series. You and I took these summer months to study Matthew; we called it the Summer Series.  What did this series teach and has it somehow prepared us for the busy fall months?

•Follow Me and I will fulfill all that you've been searching for, all the questions you've asked, all the emptiness that never gets filled.
•Just a pinch of salt goes a long way.  A night-light can fill an entire room.
•I pray He will give my eyes a way to see His treasure only.
•He will NEVER stop looking for us.  He will never fail to hear our asks, lead our seeking and answer our knocks!  Do we dare be found?
•Am I expecting the Savior in my world today?  Just say the word, Lord and give me ears to hear.
•He is only there to save us, calm us, comfort us and turn on our hall light.  And as He lives inside of each of us, we have His strength, His Oneness with God...we have Him.
•Go to those in your world who need a touch, need a hand, need an ear.  He will provide all we need, every word we speak.  And it is the very best, most exhilarating experience for He is using us! 

Do I believe these points?  Yes!  I do believe but today...once again, after a blessed, blessed summer I stand wondering, what's next?  HOW do I apply these into my life?  For in my frailty and brokenness as a human-being, I find myself daily contemplating, daily striving for more and more of life.  In my little brain, it's as though the message has a really hard time penetrating my attitudes and my actions.  But suddenly, I received a gently whisper, "It's not primarily about what you do, it's mainly about seeking Me, seeking My glory.  For when you experience My glory you will realize all else disappears."

Today in church, we sang a new song and it spoke deeply to my soul.  This song spoke words to me that stop the striving and call me to the only place that truly matters, a place where I can see His glory.  Ironically, most often it's after the blessing (summer) ends and real life trials (fall) begin that I stop and ponder purpose, existence and meaning.  
Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”
And the Lord said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”
Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”
And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” Exodus 33:15-20
As we go into these fall months, let's remember the lessons of summer but let's also be brave and desperate to call out to our God, "show me your glory."  His glory is what will sustain us and lead us and never fail us.  Let's remember that as He calls us into the world He is leading us by His glory.  Spend time today...real time...in listening, talking and seeking that Glory.

•••••

Here as we wait
Seek Your face
Come and make Your throne upon our praise
Here in this place
Have Your way
The moment that we see You, we are changed
Show us Your glory
Show us Your glory
In wonder and surrender we fall down
Show us Your glory
Show us Your glory
Let every burning heart be holy ground
HolyGround, from the album Worthy of Your Name · Songwriters: Mia Fieldes, Melodie Malone, Maurice Willis, Brett Younker · Published by: Lyrics © CAPITOL CHRISTIAN MUSIC GROUP
 

Popular Posts