Say the Word


Today, I sit and stare at this computer screen.  I've made a commitment to write every two weeks this summer; however, the words seem to have stopped but I've been going and going.  A twelve-hour car ride, hotels, flights, new life starting, old life ending, going and going.  I have a really bad feeling that the God I say I love, serve and follow has been running to catch-up to me...I remind myself, He's leading...remember?  Invite Him on this summer journey...and sit back and follow.  I get so wrapped up in my next to-do that I often run ahead and run all day and then collapse into a heap of weariness.  That's where I've been the last few days.

But even so...there He stands waiting, urging, listening.  How can the God of the universe be so available?

"When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”

Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”

The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.  Matthew 8:5-8

This Roman soldier came to the man named Jesus and immediately calls him LORD.  Was he a believer?  Did Jesus' reputation proceed Him as he entered this town?  In the soldier's great worry and busyness was He looking and expecting a savior?  Can I live in that manner? Today, I want to be looking and expecting my Savior to intersect my life and plans.

Their dialogue continues and almost immediately, the centurion is humbling himself, "I do not deserve to have you come under my roof".  How often do I act in the exact opposite manner?  I talk to my God, and act as though I deserve His favor or deserve that my prayers would be answered in my best judgement!  In those times, am I praying to God or to my Lord?  Isn't there a difference in these words?  A Chinese student once asked this very question, "Ms. Kathy, what is the meaning of the God and the Lord?  Are they the same meaning?"

I ask you today, in your life.  Do you seek and serve God or do you seek and serve your Lord?  Is there a difference?  I ponder that question today.

Then lastly, "say the word".  I love this phrase and I'll be using it in the coming days in my prayers.  Say the word, Lord and your will be done.  This soldier simply believed.  He took initiative and approached Jesus.  He named him the proper name, LORD; therefore, realizing his own humanity and need was humbled.  Humbled his own achievement and success to the One above all.

Say the word, Lord and help me follow you instead of following my busy summer to-to list.  Say the word, Lord so that I can hear your voice.

I want to approach you, acknowledge you and call you LORD.  I want to recognize my need and humble myself.  I want to trust you to heal all in my life so that I can live, say the word.

Am I expecting the Savior in my world today?  Just say the word, Lord and give me ears to hear.

Popular Posts