A Pinch of Salt and a Night-Light

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:13-16

Salt adds flavor.  Salt preserves. Salt heals.  Some people like salt and some LOVE salt.  How much is too much?  How much is not enough?  Light has similar characteristics.  It adds, it reveals, it exposes, it guides.  Some people like a lot of light and some prefer darkness.  How much is too much?  How much is not enough?

You are the salt, you are the light.

How about some honesty?  Even though I've read these words for years what resonates within me today are two odd and maybe off-putting thoughts.
1.  First, I don't really find comfort in these words; I really don't like them too much! I mean it sounds good and noble but it's too much, too big.  These words make me uncomfortable; for Jesus is stating that we, me and you are to be salt for the earth and light of the world.  Ummm, those are big places and big responsibilities and frankly, this instruction scares me.  How? How? How?

2.  And next, what if I don't have any salt left?  What if my saltiness has been watered down, what if I've lost the savory self He created?  What if my light has been dimmed? What if my light is more like a weak night-light?

I acknowledge that my life has been easy and privileged; however, my life has also been painful and disappointing at times.  There have been times of shame, failure and great humiliation.  Images fill my memory of "you're not enough, you've lost your way, just quit and end the embarrassment."  My salt has lost it's saltiness and my light has become a flicker.

But here, we read these striking words of 'you are the salt and you are the light.'  Don't we have enough pressure to just get through life holding on to our Christian beliefs, to live as He would live, to teach our children His words?  Why oh why, does he add the task of 'the earth' and 'the world' to my list of life.

Perhaps, I'm asking the wrong questions....again!!!

I notice that Jesus' words about salt and light follow reassuring words from Him:

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. You are the salt of the earth. . .

Could He be saying....? Yes, you are going to hurt and be harmed.  Evil things will happen.  But...Rejoice and be glad and be salt and light.  For it's in these hard times that I will 're-salt' you; or it is in these hard times that you find the healing properties of salt and light.  So, take your hurt life, unsavory, flickering life and offer even that.

He's not asking me or you to be the entire Salt Shaker for the entire earth or the Light to whole world!  Thank God, He's already in that role!!!  But he is asking me to take my one and only little, wounded life and offer a pinch of salt to someone else who is hurting in the same way.  Or He is asking me to take my flickering night-light into someone else's dark home and heart and just plug in for a time.  Over and over I try to become my own solution to life's problems.  I try to become my own savior as if, I know best.  Its in those times that I try to take on the whole world in my way and in my time when that has never been His request of me.

Just a pinch of salt goes a long way.  A night-light can fill an entire room.



SaveSave

Popular Posts