FaLaLa, FaLa, LaLa....🎢🎢🎡🎢

At a concert last week, the artist proclaimed words of hope, 'in the midst of recent tragedies we find ourselves at a loss.  But one thing I do know is that we can stand up and sing.  We can sing a song of hope for the world.  And sing we will tonight.'  Additionally, this performance came only a month after I had the chance to visit New York and experience some beautiful Broadway music and singing.  Leaving the theatre always makes me want to break out in song and dance...I feel so alive, so thrilled, so elated to have experienced such wide-open passion and talent.  What do these experiences say to me? Sing when you are distraught and sing when you are joy-filled...just sing!

I realized today that I have been subconsciously pondering these experiences all week.  I've had all sorts of memories bubble up.  Memories of song....
...She sat with her dying adult son and sang to him the song she had sung when he was just a baby boy, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.  You make me happy when skies are gray.  You'll never know dear how much I love you, please don't take my sunshine away."
...Another friend sat in a retreat listening to a speaker, when suddenly the speaker begin to sing.  She sang a song that offered healing to my friend, a healing she did not even know she needed.  "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living my baby you'll be."
...My mama sang too.  At the end of her life she sang with a low, raspy voice.  My sister used to play Christmas carols in the car and Mama would sing..."O come all ye Faithful, joyful and triumphant"...  Mama's little raspy voice filled us with so much love and joy...oh, that I could hear her sing again.
What is it about song that lifts our spirits?  Surely, the talent of the musicians is inspiring  as we hear their talent and perfection in performance.  I'm in awe of their abilities.  But I know that it is not the perfection of the singing...it's the passion of the singer.  It's watching a performance knowing the singer is fully engaged and offering to the audience all their heart has to give....all the love, all the joy, all the honesty, all the wide-open trust of showing their true inner self.

Are we made for the stage too?  Are we made to stand and sing with passion?  Have you ever turned up the music in your life?  Once in a blue moon I've allowed myself to turn up the music and sing.  And those days are unlike any others!   In the privacy of my home, I have sung songs of hope, I have sung songs of despair, I have sung songs of joy and thanksgiving, and I have sung love songs.  Perhaps song is the true language of our hearts.  Perhaps the Spirit who lives in each of our hearts longs to burst out and sing.   Perhaps we are to declare to sing a song of hope for the world.

But I don't sing.  I hold back when I could sing.  I sing softly as my voice is not too great.  I sing without realizing the words and their meaning.  I hold back because of what others may think, I hold back because of what I may think about myself!!  I'm scared to be so radical.  I'm scared to be so vulnerable.  But what if....what if...I became wide-open like a little child and just sang with no inhibition and with wide-open passion?

What impact would that have on me and on my Father??  I wonder if the impact song and music has on me is the same impact my song might have on my Lord?  I wonder if He marvels to hear my voice sing songs to Him.  I wonder if He is as touched as I was when I heard my Mama sing.  I wonder if He's longing to hear me sing from my soul of all the joys, all the fear and all the pain that live in me?  I wonder if that's when the deep connection is actually made....by song not words.  Song that is fully engaged and offering to God all my heart has to give....all the love, all the joy, all the honesty, all the wide-open trust.  

When nobody is listening...let's sing...for He wants to hear our music of song...He wants to hear our wide-open trust of giving Him our honest selves.  

LaLa, FaLa, LaLa....🎢🎢🎡🎢
Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Ephesians 5:19

...AND a worship album of song for everyday;
and an incredible portrayal of surrender and love to our 
heavenly Father. (click to open)
abeyellen.org

Popular Posts