Reality TV

OK, true confessions.....who amongst you watches 'reality tv'?  I know this is a personal and private matter that you are hesitant to discuss.  But really, what is your favorite?  Is it The Amazing Race, The Bachelor, Overhaulin, Dancing with the Stars, Desperate Housewives, or (surely not) Here comes Honey Boo Boo?  Reality TV has captured our attention, it makes good conversation, and allows us to look into other peoples lives....which leads us to celebrate the normalcy of our own lives!  Right?  But I daresay we watch these shows and wonder how we would measure up or where we would fit in the story.

This week in the Christian faith is called Passion Week.  The final week of Jesus' earthly life is talked about and celebrated by Christ followers all over the world.  As I was reading the week of events recorded in the Bible I began to wonder about passion and why that word is used to describe this week in the Christian life. (more later) But I also begin to wonder where I might find myself in the stories. For I believe this story is alive and real today and that we all have a role in the script.  This is 'Reality TV LIVE' and we're in the cast.  

Read Luke Chapters 19, 20, 21, 22 with that thought in mind this week.  Where are you in the story?  With whom do you most identify? Absorb the words and story and find yourself for that is where God will meet you.

Let's begin our quest: 
The last week of Jesus' earthly life began with a parade called the Triumphal Entry.  Are we a part of the disciple group surrounding Him and loudly singing Praises or are we in the super-religious, rules group asking everyone to quiet down?  Or do we find ourselves having a heart-ache for other people? 
When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:
“Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”
Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”
“I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”
As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes...”

I love a party, I love to plan a party!  Get the colt!  Get the palms for decorations! I love a celebration and I love singing and laughing.  We honor HIS name with our celebration - maybe that's my group.

I also love what I'm comfortable with...my style of singing and worship...my church-rules and expectations.  I'm uncomfortable when my child, my friend, or a stranger comes to my fellowship and they have dressed differently from me or they talk in a way I don't approve.  Is this my group?

I pass people as I go through life.  They have problems-too much alcohol and drugs, they are poor, they are needy, they are disrespectful, they hate, they curse, they laugh at my beliefs - do I love them?  Do I weep over them and pray and hope for them?  Is this my group?

What is your Reality?  The week of LIFE has started.  Which part of the cast are you today?



Easter Week 2014
(one of four)  
Pass them on to others.  
He is Risen! Hallelujah!

Popular Posts