Go, Love, Go Again

One day years ago when we were living in Corpus Christi, Nick, Sarah and I were driving home from school one afternoon and Nick began to ask questions about boundaries. He was anxious to get home and ride his bike; therefore was concerned about his boundaries in the neighborhood, i.e. how far could he go without getting in trouble.  I don't remember their exact ages but I am guessing that he was about 10 and Sarah was 6 years old.  So I responded that his boundaries were from Alameda to Santa Fe and then Lamar Park Shopping area to Bermuda Street.  He understood as these streets were a rectangle around our home.  After we drove a few minutes I heard a little voice from the back seat ask me what her boundaries were.....I hesitated for only a second and responded, "our driveway".  This thrilled Nick and of course irritated Sarah! But I was serious!! I didn't want my baby girl to leave the safety of the driveway until she was older (and then it about killed me)!

These days both my children have cleared the driveway by a long shot and are finding their lives and their callings in two Texas universities.  They seem eager to find their place in the world and make a difference.  The world is literally alive to them.  No adventure is too far for them to consider.

As their middle age mom I still seek that same place in the world too...the place of 'making a difference'.  Where will I go?  What is the call on my life?  Have I limited myself because I'm older now?  Have I self-imposed a driveway boundary?  Am I comfortable in my routine of serving?  Or am I waiting for someone to ask me?

He is asking.  I hear Jesus whispering to me....Follow Me, Go, Love, Serve, Go again.  Go to the widow, the elderly, the Chinese, the hurting, the neighbor, the garbage man, your family, old friends, Go.  Go.  Tell them of The Love, The Hope....Go!  Leave your safety zone for now there are no boundaries just Follow Me.

There is an old hymn I love, In the Bleak Midwinter by Christina Rossetti (written 1872, published posthumously in 1904).


In the bleak mid-winter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter
Long ago.

What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man
I would do my part,
Yet what I can I give Him,
Give my heart.

What we have to give is what He's already given to us.  As Christ-followers He lives IN us.  What you're living is for Him.  Realize that all those acts that you feel are insignificant are actually love expressed because of Him.  Those insignificant meals you cook - keep cooking.  Those insignificant notes you write - keep writing.  Those hidden prayers you pray - keep praying.  Those words of encouragement you offer quietly - keep giving them.  The love, yes, the Love....Go.



Popular Posts