Mama's Girl

My beautiful Mama...Sarah Davis Loftin from Thomasville, Georgia
One month ago, we were celebrating the birth of a Saviour for all mankind.  Jesus birth enabled Him to live life with us and then also enabled Him to die for us.  And most, most importantly enabled Him to defeat death and rise again.  He has gone ahead of us to prepare a place for those who believe in Him.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.  My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. (Jesus is speaking...John 14:1-3)

Also, one month ago one of His daughters went to join Him in the place He had lovingly prepared for her.  Her name is Sarah.  She is my mama.  She is now whole, healed, happy and in a Holy place.  My mama lived a long life and a full life. She was 89 when she died and left behind a legacy of faith.  She had suffered illness for many years and age was taking its toil on her earthly body....so we as her family prayed for God's mercy and perfect will for her life...

.....then the day came, December 24, 2013...she was released and went to Glory.  Hallelujah!  Rejoice in her final and complete salvation and healing!  We do, I do....but...

...my biggest fan has gone to heaven.  My own personal cheerleader has gone to her Father.  For you see there are earthly things one loses when a mama dies: the look in her eye when you enter the room, the laugh you could get from her, the words of pride she spoke over you, the unconditional love, the unconditional forgiveness, the words of encouragement, the adoring eyes of love...gone for today...

Some of you reading this knew my mama and loved her.  Some of you may have met her when her days were not so good - when physical ailment had overtaken her body.  And then, many of you never met her.  Can I share with you who she was to me?


From Left: Pat, James, Mama, Beverly, Me (2010)
  • She loved....just simply loved...fully and completely
  • She loved our Daddy - often times when it seemed impossible...she loved him
  • She was fastidious!
  • She wasn't thrilled about dogs or cats - until she met my brother's dog, Sully!
  • She wanted all the family celebrations at her house, 915 Oleander Avenue, regardless of how frail she became that was her hope...to love people in her home
  • She wanted us all to have our favorite food at these celebrations - even it meant an extraordinary amounts of food she would make sure that James had his chocolate pie, Daddy had his pecan pie and the kids had her famous Macaroni and Cheese.  I also remember church dinners when she would never take just one dish but always 3 or 4 (with Mary Lynn's private dish of Mexican cornbread on the side)
  • She sacrificed in love for Beverly, James, Pat, me....and so many others

So...the top 10 reasons why I love my Mama:
10.  She (and Beverly) taught me how to fold a fitted sheet!
9.  She taught me how to cook and in particular, how to make dumplings and a really good pecan pie!
8.  She taught me to speak and write words of love.
7.  She taught me to laugh when I wanted to cry.
6.  She taught me to love people well.
5.  She taught me to seek and find my own true love. (In fact, she loved Ray before I fully knew I loved him!)
4.  She (and Daddy) gave us kids all our good looks :)
3.  She taught me sacrifice.
2.  She loved and forgave me unconditionally.
1.  She taught me to seek Jesus whatever the circumstance; however bad the pain...the answer is and was always...Jesus.

Thank you, Mama.  I will forever miss you until I see you in heaven.  Thank you for loving me so completely.  I now know that you were showing me how God loves.  You were Him in my life.  I'm so thankful that you are now healed and whole.  I'm so glad you're with Daddy and your parents, Aunt Kathryn and SO many other saints....I miss you Mama.  I'll see you soon.

Popular Posts