Wallowing



Ginger has been our constant companion for the last eleven years.  She’s grown up with us and we’ve grown old with her.  She has more gray hair than I do (OK….I cheat).  She eats, sleeps and well, that’s about it.   She eats and sleeps.  I’ve noticed that when she starts to get up from her naps it’s a slow rise.  Her old hips are the last to get the message that it’s time to move but finally, she’s up and moving.  It’s when we go outside that her transformation begins.  She picks up her pace across the patio and moves into a trot, gets to the sunny grass area and literally plops down.  And wallows.  And wallows.  And wallows.  Twisting and turning.  Her legs will be straight up in the air at times.  Then it’s another quick flop and back over to just lie in the grass.  I tell Ray she getting her suntan because she will lie there a while just relishing in the outdoors.  It must feel so good to her.

I want to wallow.  Webster is unkind to this word and defines it as floundering.  I think of it as more of a relaxed, stirring around.  I’m pretty sure I wallow in my bed at night until I’m just perfectly comfortable.  Does that make sense to you?  So…… I want to move my aging, midlife body into a wallow.  I want to flip and flop and relish in the world around me this Thanksgiving.  We know all of our gifts are from God so wallow with me in the next few days…

The clanging of pots and pans, the oven timer, the cackle of laughter, the scream of joy when the surprise visitor pops in, the love in the eyes of those around you, the one who is lonely and brightens at your attention, the bounty of the food, grandma’s hands, the busy servant in the kitchen, the smell of baked pies, the discussion around the table, the words of love given to you and the words you give to others.

All of these beautiful experiences are a just a glimpse of what awaits us.  Rejoice, relish, wallow in this bounty God has given.  Who are we that He should so bless us?  Why has He allowed such blessing on my family and yours?  I don’t know. I cannot fathom how Good He is to me.  But I can wallow in His love today.  I can sing praise back to Him.  I can bask in His holiness and in the light of His bounty to me.  I can offer my praise and thanksgiving back to Him.  It’s my offering.

I’m single-minded in pursuit of you; don’t let me miss the road signs you’ve posted. I’ve banked your promises in the vault of my heart so I won’t sin myself bankrupt. Be blessed, GOD; train me in your ways of wise living. I’ll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from your mouth; I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches. I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you, I attentively watch how you’ve done it. I relish everything you’ve told me of life, I won’t forget a word of it.
Psalm 119:8-10 The Message

Popular Posts