PinPrick Christmas?

So this morning I was sitting in my prayer chair and forcing myself to “de-Christmas” myself. I know this sounds strange . But my life these last few weeks has had little to do with a Saviour’s birth and MUCH to do with cooking, wrapping, buying, decorating, and stressing over who-is-getting-what-and-will-they-like-it”.

I began thinking about the gift giving and how it is supposed to represent our celebration of the birth of Jesus into our world. We ARE celebrating His magnificent Self coming into our world. What Glory that is for the God of the universe to squeeze Himself into our world.

Ahhh, I thought, I can’t possibly understand what that even means. But, if I could understand His Glory perhaps I could better understand my great need for a Saviour. Isn’t that our problem in the world…we don’t really think we need a Saviour. We’ve got it “under control”.

So how can we even start to understand His Glory, His great Light to the world? Think with me.

Did your mama ever tell you: “Don’t look directly at the sun, cause you’ll go blind!” Or have you ever been driving west at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and get blinded by the sun? It’s just so very intense and bright it hurts your eyes to look at it? It’s too much for me. So out come my polarized sunglasses and down goes the sun visor. I need help to see. The light is too much. It’s overwhelming.Now, have you ever heard of pinprick art? This is an art project where you punch pin holes in black paper and then tape it to a sun-filled window and let the filtered sun shine through the holes. The sun finds the little openings and floods through creating a pattern…just tiny bits of light shine through.

With all my hustling and bustling, have I forgotten the overwhelming sunlight, the Glory of Jesus squeezing Himself into a human birth? The great Glory of God…coming into our little world?

And, have I begun to settle for a pinprick Christmas….just a glimpse of the Glory? His glory shone round about…and they were afraid or overwhelmed or in awe. Am I overwhelmed by this great light this Christmas? This Glory came into the world for me and you and you and you!

Do I want a pinprick Christmas or a full-sun, Glory-filled Christmas? Look at this short verse below:

An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
 Luke 2:8-10

Glory of the Lord, I wondered. His Glory shone round about them and they were amazed, overwhelmed, in awe, thankful and relishing in His coming.

Happy Birthday, my Jesus, the Glory is You.

Popular Posts