Are You Rich?

Do you ever get a song stuck in your head? Have you noticed that sometimes it’s the most random song and maybe not even one you especially like! So this story I share today has been rolling and rolling around in my head for the last few weeks.

As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’

“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. Mark 10:15-22

I’m fifty-three years old and have been a Christ-follower since I was in the 7th grade. I’ve attended bible study, developed a prayer life, been in fellowship with other believers, gone on mission trips, served in local outreach, loved my husband, parents, children and my fellow man. But I am the young man in this scripture reading.

I feel winded as I run up to Jesus and fall on my knees. “What must I do”, I cry out. I’ve done these things that build me up spiritually, things that make me devout and more Christ-like, I think. But today, today I feel empty. Today my mind and heart are in search for the next answer as this one I’m living seems just off the mark somehow.

I hear your answer, “sell everything you have, give to the poor, then come follow me”. So I’ve been thinking about what I have as I too am “rich” in many things. Is it true that you want to use all these things for others to come to know you? Is that part of your plan? If so...I can offer all of the following: a broken spirit and broken children. My role in motherhood has fractured occasionally. I have regrets. I’ve hurt those I love. I have a heart accepting your love and needing more of your love. I have many earthly “things” that surround me or overwhelm me and disguise my need for You. I have a house with plenty of bedrooms to share and plenty of food to share. I have a life with plenty of time to share. I have Hope as you are Saviour. I have ideas and dreams that revolve around your dreams for me and for your world. I have a heart aching to be used by you in this day. Can I sell all of that or just give it all to you? Can you use it? Could you use me?

I do not want to go away sad because I have great wealth and can’t let it go. I want to join you, Lord, and follow you. So, joyfully, what you have given me is what I give back to You today!

Popular Posts