Oh, the Places You'll Go

New York City and Eutaw, Alabama are both great places to spend a weekend.

Two weeks ago, we surprised our daughter, Sarah, with a 17th birthday trip to New York. The weekend was amazing and so much fun for a mom and daughter. We did all the “touristy” things – Central Park, Rockefeller City, Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Broadway, Chinatown, a deli, Greenwich Village and SHOPPING! We flew, walked, boated, rode the subway, took the bus and taxis. I was reminded of Dr. Seuss and his writing, Oh, the Places You'll Go! People were everywhere. People, people, people…Going, going, going.

The following weekend I found myself in a beautiful, quiet country farm home in Eutaw, Alabama. I was one of 62 women attending a church retreat. We laughed, we ate well, we sang, some of us tried to karaoke, we listened, we shared, some cried but we were all in community. Sharing that lovely space and seeking our God and trying to learn more about His great love for us and His healing of us and His call to us.

The contrast of these two weekends is apparent in many respects. But the similarities are striking to me. People seeking, people going, people wondering: what is my purpose? Who cares for me? I’m hurting and in need of a Saviour to heal me and fill me. A Saviour who loves me even while knowing EVERYTHING about me.

We live as though our going and going will find this place of acceptance. If I move here, If I get this job, if I receive this education, if I love and marry, if…..if….When actually, all the going can stop as the Saviour is simply waiting for us to see Him and stop all the self-striving.
There are so many people in New York, in Eutaw, in Tuscaloosa, in Egypt, in China, in Haiti, in Corpus Christi, in Fort Worth, in Russia, in Atlanta, in Starkville, in Nepal, in Sudan….waiting and striving to hear.

Who will tell them? Is it you? Or me? YES, it’s us. Let’s run to tell this Good News.

Excerpt from
Oh, the Places You'll Go! Dr. Seuss

...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.


So I pray: Lord, in this city where I live, I profess to know you and love you. I go to church and even teach Sunday School. I sing praises to you. I seek your wisdom for my life and my family. But now I realize I don’t see those around me who are waiting. Waiting to hear about you, waiting to know your touch and your love. Give me eyes to see, give me your heart to love. Who is waiting in my world?

Popular Posts