Fix Me

When our children were small they would often spend a few days of the summer with Nannie. Nannie lives about 5 miles outside a small, rural Mississippi town. For years she lived on a gravel road and that road is so dark at night that you literally canNOT see your hand in front of your face….I doubted this fact once but now I believe (but that’s a whole other story!)

One day when Nick and Sarah were staying with Nannie she rounded them up and into her Cadillac and said, “Come on, we’ve got to run to town. I’ve got to go get my hair fixed.” After about a quarter of mile she heard a small voice from the back seat say, “Nannie, what does that mean…get your hair fixed? Is it broken? How do they fix it?” Later, telling us the story, Nannie could hardly tell us without laughing and giggling. We still hold that story special in our family.

My momma is 86 years old and even if she is ill for the entire week, I promise you her supreme effort will emerge to go the Beauty Shop on Friday to get her hair fixed! It’s a tradition that women hold dear. I was at the hair salon last week, too….getting my hair fixed. I looked around and saw older women, women like me – almost older women, college guys, men, even babies were there that day. It was fun to see a young one getting a first haircut! There is constant activity: chattering, laughing, hair dryers going, water running, scissors snipping, sweeping up, coffee drinking… and one other thing…..time spent slowing down. Time spent letting someone else put there hands on you and fix you - a new you, a better you. We leave those salons and think to ourselves, oh, I feel so much better.

My salon experience is therapeutic in many ways. We laugh, we joke, we even get serious and encourage each other. In fact, last week we cried. My precious stylist was not only working on my hair but she was literally wiping my tear-stained cheeks as well. I was in need of more than a fix for my hair that day. And I still am…aren’t you?

We’re broken and in need of a fix. Our hair gets fixed, our addicted friends are looking for a fix. We cry out in many ways: Fix me.

“If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”

“Sir,” the woman said, “you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? John 4:10-11

When Jesus met the woman at the well He knew the depth of her hurt and her need for a fix. She even told Him, “the well is so deep”. My pain, my disappointment, my shame, my hurt, my inadequacy is so deep….there is no fix. But yet, Jesus knew her. He knew all about her and offered Himself to her…just drink of Me.

In this scripture, Jesus says to me: “Let me reach inside of you and fix your broken heart of disappointment and grief. Only I, the King of Kings, has the fix you need and desire. Let me place my hands on you and on your heart. I know you. There is nothing you can tell me or admit to me that I don’t already know AND I love you just the same. I love you as much today as I ever have, will or can. My love for you is total and perfect. Trust me. Drink me in.”

Popular Posts