The Who's of Whoville

Go and make disciples of all nations…Matthew 28:19

Today, I’m sitting in a Starbuck’s in Birmingham, Alabama. It’s 7 a.m. and all around me is quiet. It’s just my latte and me this morning. It’s so quiet that the still small voice is easily heard. Actually, there are two voices this morning and the conversation is going like this:

Voice 1: So, here you sit. You fulfilled the American dream. College educated, happily married, nice 25-year professional career, 2 grown children, 1 old golden retriever, nice home, multiple friends. All good.

Voice 2: Did you make a difference? Did that fulfill you? Now what will you do? Will you go?

Voice 1: You can sit back, relax, read good books, go on trips, and enjoy the blessed life you’ve been given.

Voice 2: There is much to do. Many are calling out. Is your life fulfilling?

Voice 1: What can I do? I don’t know where to begin! I have family obligations…a husband to support, children to love, and a mom who needs me. And actually I don’t know how to find people in need. OK, if I get a phone call to volunteer, I’ll do it! I promise!

How does one GO into the world anyway? Are you asking me to leave this city, this county, this country? Is it to leave my back door and serve my neighbor? What are you saying, Lord?

This is a conversation I’ve had with myself a lot lately. Words I’ve heard and ignored most of life are now before me again in the book, Radical by David Platt.

Go. Into. World.

He’s certainly called me and …you. And I’m finding out that that there is nothing in my life as fulfilling as acting on the command Go. Nothing else even comes close. The few times that I’ve experienced the blessing of “going” are times when I suddenly knew who I was created to be and what I was created to do with my life.

Months ago, I was having lunch with two Chinese brothers. Our conversation had moved to serious matters and one of these friends began talking about his family in China. He explained their level of poverty, the family dynamics, the lack of education, the sour economy and their lack of understanding about Jesus. He then said these words, “Who will tell my people of this Good news? Who will go? Who will tell people on this campus?”

We are blessed to be ‘the who’ in this question from my friend. The Who’s from Whoville!!

Let’s add these words to the conversation: Where? How? What?

Popular Posts