Foggy Morning

It was an early December morning in north Mississippi about 6 a.m. and I was on my way to Jackson. This 2-hour drive through the rural south is completely familiar to me. Two-lane tree-lined highways make up much of the drive. On each side of the highway tall pine trees stand and sway. It was a chilly, wintry morning.

I’ve driven this highway for 25 years…first to and from college then for my job duties. Nothing about it is unknown or new to me – until this December day. Immediately, I began to hit patches of fog. As I traveled south, the fog became denser and the roadway kept winding between the hills. After some time, I realized that I was holding the steering wheel rather tightly and as I tried to see my surroundings, I realized I had no idea where I was – except in the middle of heavy, heavy fog. My car kept pushing forward at 65 mph and I followed the road stripes closely. Nothing was familiar, no signage was visible, no cell reception, no landmarks, bright lights only made things worse. I reduced my speed and concentrated my focus allowing no distractions. I couldn’t judge my progress and couldn’t predict my surroundings. I was thrilled when I met another car as they represented more light. I was lost in the fog with no clue as to my progress but knew I was on the road, headed in the right direction.

In the middle of this two hour drive, I realized the parallel to my life…. a blessed life but one now filled with difficult personal problems and concerns. These thoughts of driving in fog and being blinded to signage, no clear vision, no clear road to follow, nothing familiar but staying on the road believing I was headed in the right direction were suddenly my life.

In the midst of difficulties, I’ve pondered…Am I traveling on or have I pulled over and stopped because I can’t see what’s ahead? Am I using my bright lights when all I really need is my normal headlights and a steady, consistent speed? Am I looking for other traveler’s lights to light my way? Isn’t this faith, staying on the road in the dense fog?

Following a long familiar but now foggy path…headed in the right direction.

From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. Psalm 61:2

Popular Posts